Sunday, November 6, 2011

Not So Innocently Abroad


Here is a piece from a very good friend of mine, Professor John Pedro Schwartz at the American University of Beirut, Lebanon. John Pedro is a so-called “late-bloomer” in academics and has never slowed down once he got his wings. I am constantly blown away by the verve and detail of his writing, though not losing the essential message.

JPS, as I am wont to call him, sent me this piece a couple of weeks ago while I was still in Madurai, and I was yet again blown away about what he is writing about and how. He has the ability to render a highly socially conscious piece, without being biased or didactic. A true gift. Not to mention that he is quite funny, both in person and on paper.

Two days ago, after I had returned to Antwerp and was beginning to read the various newspapers online again and seeing the events in Syria, I could not believe the real impact of JPS’s words. He then sent me an email with “Published” as the subject line and this link as the body of the mail.

So, here it is. Important stuff from Lebanon.




No comments:

Post a Comment